[Rd] S4 generic for lowess

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue May 20 19:06:56 CEST 2008

A quick comment on design:

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Iago Mosqueira
<iago.mosqueira at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A lowess method is defined in our package for one of our S4 classes. To
> explicitely define the generic this is being used
>
> if (!isGeneric("lowess"))
>  setGeneric("lowess", useAsDefault = lowess)
>
> This works fine for many other methods inherited from various R
> packages. In this case a warning is issued in R CMD check:
>
> * checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
> lowess: no visible binding for global variable 'xy'
> lowess: no visible binding for global variable 'o'
>
> which I assume originates from the formals of lowess
>
> lowess(x, y = NULL, f = 2/3, iter = 3, delta = 0.01 * diff(range(xy$x[o])))
>
> where 'xy' and 'o' are present in the argument list but are really
> defined inside the function itself.

To my opinion, this could have been implemented as (or with some other
default value on 'delta'):

lowess <- function(x, y=NULL, f=2/3, iter=3, delta=NULL) {
  [...]
  if (is.null(delta))
    delta <- 0.01 * diff(range(xy$x[o])));
  [...]
}

and then document in the help pages what 'delta' defaults to.

My $.02

/Henrik