[Rd] HoltWinters fitted level parameter not bounded between 0 and 1 (PR#11469)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 16 12:50:48 CEST 2008

It doesn't do it on my system (I get a value of about 0.688 in R 2.7.0
patched on Linux), and 2.5.1 is not current.  Does a better starting value
help?

However, HoltWinters is using optim() in a case it is not designed for
(one-dimensional optimization): see the note on its help page.  I think
this could easily be changed, but as HoltWinters is contributed code
I am Cc:ing the author for comment.