[Rd] (PR#11281) Bug in R 2.7 for over long lines

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon May 12 14:39:38 CEST 2008

On 5/10/2008 5:20 PM, bugreports at nn7.de wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 11:19 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> You will see the current code is different, and your 'fix' is not needed=20
>> nor applies in R-devel.
>
> would be nice...
>
>> You failed to provide an example to reproduce the alleged bug, but the=20
>
> well the bug was obvious, I told that I can trigger it and that the
> proposed fix fixed it - no need to provide an example.

But it would be helpful to provide an example, so that we can test the
fix.  As Brian told you, your fix was no good:  it was not against the
current code.

>> issue does seem to be using lines beyond the documented line length.
>
> exactly. one can crash R with too long lines.

Then the bug is also in your code, for sending lines that are too long.
  R shouldn't crash on user error, but "don't do that" is an appropriate
response.

>> So it would have only affected people who did that ....
>
> or use auto-generated code like e.g. swig produces.

Then swig should be modified to produce valid code.

>> And generating a new report (PR#11438) was distinctly unfriendly.
>
> I did what I was told, reply and keep the PR#11281 in the subject. I am
> sensing another bug.
>
>> If after studing the R FAQ you have a reproducible example in a
>> current=20
>> version of R (R-devel or R-patched), plus add it to *this* report
>> number.
>
> I don't intend to play with devel versions of R, I was just trying to
> get swig for R2.7 to work. Sorry that it triggered a bug in R. =EF=BB=BFI w=
> ill
> try R2.7.1 when it is released and report back.

If you aren't interested in being helpful by testing fixes for your
code, then I doubt if any of us are going to go out of our way to help
you with your errors.

Duncan Murdoch