[Rd] optional setValidity()

Sklyar, Oleg (MI London) osklyar at maninvestments.com
Wed May 7 17:13:01 CEST 2008

You could add a flag to your class and check if it set as a first thing
in the validity as in the example below:

setClass("foo",
  representation("numeric", .validate="logical"),
  prototype(.validate=TRUE),
  validity=function(object) {
    if (!object at .validate) TRUE
    ## do lengthy checks
  }
)

setGeneric("foo", function(x, ...) standardGeneric("foo"))
setMethod("foo", signature(x="numeric"),
  function(x, ..., validate=TRUE) new("foo", ..., .validate=validate)
)

a = foo(runif(10), validate=FALSE)
## or
b = new("foo", runif(10), .validate=FALSE)
## or do validate
d = foo(runif(10))
e = new("foo", runif(10))

The downside is that you carry unnecessary information around in your
objects.

Best,

Dr Oleg Sklyar
Technology Group