[Rd] tests Rin and Rout

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 31 10:16:59 CEST 2008

    >> Generally I find it's good to look at examples that work.
    >> For examples of packages using tests, look at source
    >> packages on CRAN.  Run the tests on them (using R CMD
    >> check), and see what gets produced.
    >>
    CG> Do you have the name of a package that use it ? I try
    CG> the 10 first package, and 10 other at random, but none
    CG> of them use tests...

hmm, I see 219 out 1378 CRAN packages having a 'tests'
subdirectory, so it seems you have been a bit unlucky. ;-)

Also note that 'R CMD check' runs all the examples in the help
files and hence does some testing already without extra tests in ./tests/

Isn't all this is explained nicely in the "Writing R Extensions"
Manual?  Or are there sections we should expand ?
For answering your subsequent questions, you should probably
both look at an example package *and* read the 'Writing R
Extensions' manual a bit more "closely".

BTW: There's an extension to simple regression tests in the
     ./tests/ directory, namely using the 'RUnit' package for
     unit tests **IN CONJUNCTION** with ./tests/ :

  The R Wiki has had a note on that for many months,
     http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=developers:runit

and we have recently nicely implemented a version of this
approach in most Rmetrics R packages, e.g.  'fCalendar' as one
example.  It builds on a simple tests/doRunit.R file and then on
content in inst/unitTests/

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich