[Rd] S4: dumpMethod (PR#11053)

cgenolin at u-paris10.fr cgenolin at u-paris10.fr
Sat Mar 29 19:15:14 CET 2008

Full_Name: Christophe Genolini
Version: 2.6.2
OS: Windows XP
Submission from: (NULL) (82.225.59.146)

*This is a mail that I post on r-help: *

>> It seems that the dumpMethod does not work.

setClass("A",representation(a="numeric"))
setMethod("plot","A",function(x,y,...){cat("AAAAA\n")})
dumpMethod("plot","A",file="")
#setMethod("plot", "A",
#NULL
#)
#[1] ""

> Answer from Martin Maechler

> dumpMethod() has not been updated when the internal method
> definition (and storage) code has been changed.
> Consequently, it looks pretty broken to me, as well.
>
> OTOH, I have never seen any need to use it,
> since I only work with *.R files which I write and comment and ..
> and never would want to replace with anything dumped...
>
> Do you want to submit a (legitimate (!)) bug report to R-bugs ?

Well, I did not submit a bug concerning a (may be) useless method...
But today, I find it usefull: "package.skeleton" use dump.
So a "package.skeleton.S4" might need dumpMethod...

Christophe