[Rd] suppressing 'download.file' progress window

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 22:13:53 CET 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Roger D. Peng wrote:

> In Windows, 'download.file' pops up a separate window indicating the
> progress of the download (even when 'quiet = TRUE').  This is useful and
> informative when downloading a single (large) file.  However, when
> downloading multiple (smaller) files in sucession, the constant flashing
> of the progress window can be a little disorienting (at least for me).
>
> Is there a way to suppress this progress window?  Or is it an operating system
> feature?

The write up was somewhat confusing.  'quiet=TRUE' suppresses the status
messages on all platforms, and the (text) progress bar.  Only in R-devel
does it suppress the progress bar widget on Windows.

That said, the main time I download many files is via update.packages() or
install.packages(), and there was no provision to set quiet=TRUE from
those: I've just added ... to allow that.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk