[Rd] Problem with Makefile.win and environment variable

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Fri Mar 21 17:11:43 CET 2008

Dear Prof. Ripley

Thank you for your fast reply and sorry for being not specific enough.

My problem is that I need to use MS VC++ for the WinXP port of my
package (xps at BioC):

Here is my concrete problem and what I did:
- installed MS Visual Studio Express 2008
- installed binary of ROOT framework compiled with VC++ (thus the need
for VC++)
- set ROOT environment variable: ROOTSYS=C:\root  (the default install dir)
- installed Rtools
- installed binary of R-2.6.2
- created Makefile.win for VC++ which compiles my source code and
includes ROOT libraries
- created config.win to check for presence of VC++, ROOT, ROOTSYS

Everything works fine, I can install my package on WinXP as long as
"Makefile.win" contains the line "ROOTSYS=C:\\root"

When I follow your suggestion "ROOTSYS=${ROOTSYS}" (which I tried
already before) I get the following error:
  running src/Makefile.win ...
Makefile.win:64: *** Recursive variable `ROOTSYS' references itself
(eventually).  Stop.
make[2]: *** [srcDynlib] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

When I try "ROOTSYSX=${ROOTSYS}" I get the usual error:
  running src/Makefile.win ...
cl /Ic:\root/include /MT /EHsc /Ox /D "MSVC" /D "WIN32" /c TMLMath.cxx
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.21022.08
for 80x86
TMLMath.cxx
TMLMath.cxx(51) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'TMath.h': No such file or
directory
make[3]: *** [TMLMath.obj] Error 2
make[2]: *** [srcDynlib] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

As you see, everything works but this final problem.
I have checked the examples in  a couple of R packages, e.g. ROracle
which also reqires VC++, but I could not find any solution to this last
problem.
Do you have some other ideas which I could test?

Thank you.
Best regards
Christian
C.h.i.s.t.i.a.n S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a