[Rd] merging environments

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Fri Mar 7 20:02:02 CET 2008

   Despite the spirited arguments of various R-core folks
who feel that mle() doesn't need a "data" argument, and
that users would be better off learning to deal with function
closures, I am *still* trying to make such things work
in a reasonably smooth fashion ...

   Is there a standard idiom for "merging" environments?
i.e., suppose a function has an environment that I want
to preserve, but _add_ the contents of a data list --
would something like this do it? Is there a less ugly
way?

x <- 0
y <- 1
z <- 2