[Rd] Problems initializing an extended S4 class

Jim Regetz regetz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 3 11:51:14 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the reply, that really helps a lot. Some follow-up
observations below.

Martin Morgan wrote:
> Hi Jim --
>
> I think your problems have to do with the way 'initialize' and
> 'validObject' work together. At some point in it's code, validObject
> converts an instance 'b' of a derived class (e.g., B) into that of the
> base class (e.g., A). It does this, by calling a = new("A"), and then
> copying the relevant slots from the instance of b to new a. So...

With your comments as context, I stepped more carefully through relevant
source code in the methods package. As you indicated, my trouble arises
in the 'validObject' function. In particular, it's when 'as' is called
to coerce the nascent B object into its superclass A. [For reference,
it's in line 456 of the SClasses.R in the R-2.6.2 source tarball.]

This led me to try defining a simple B -> A coercion method:
setAs("B", "A", function(from, to) new(to, x=from at x))

Indeed, after doing this, I can successfully create an instance of B.

It still seems peculiar that the initialize and validity methods are
both called twice for A when B is instantiated -- particularly given
that the 'a' object itself was already initialized and checked for
validity. There may well be a good reason for all this, but I still
wonder if I'm doing something inefficiently.

In any case, although I haven't tested it, I'm optimistic that defining
'coerce' methods in this fashion will also solve the problem in my real
code without my needing to redesign the initialize and validity methods.

>> 1. Why is initialize invoked *twice* for A during instantiation of B?
>
> ...the initialize method for A gets invoked twice, once when B is
> being created originally, and once when B is being checked for
> validity and is being converted to A.
>
>> 2. The second time initialize is invoked for A, it appears .Object at x is
>> only bound to its implicit prototype value of numeric(0). Why? Of
>
> ...and this is because of how A is being constructed from B -- with a
> called to new("A"), with no additional arguments.
>
> Practically, this means that your classes have to be valid when
> created with new("A"). This imposes constraints on the prototype,and
> on the initialize method, and in the end I've found myself writing
> 'constructors' that process user-friendly arguments into a format that
> can be passed to 'new' as slots, e.g.,
>
> A <- function(x=numeric(0), ...) {
>     x <- ifelse(log(x)<0, 1, x)
>     new("A", x=x, ...)
> }
>
> In some ways I think this is the right thing to do anyway (a layer of
> abstraction between the user and implementation), even if the
> motivation might not be so pure.

Agreed, and I actually do have such user-level constructors. However,
precisely in the interests of abstraction, I'd prefer not to expose the
innards of my initialize methods in these functions. I admit this is
partly on purity grounds, but more practical issues are (1) I may have
several variants of the user-level constructors and don't want to repeat
the common initialization code in each one, and (2) the operations I
have in my initialize methods are only sensible for valid objects (and
thus not meaningfully executed before 'new' is called). Hopefully this
is all in the true spirit of the S4 object system...

Thanks again for the clear and helpful reply!

Cheers,
Jim