[Rd] Posting Guide - help.request() function?

Dr Heather Turner Heather.Turner at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 16:35:09 CEST 2008

Whilst it is a good idea to improve the posting guide, it seems to me
that it would be useful to have a function along the lines of
bug.report(), to help a potential questioner make sure they have done
their homework and have the relevant information to put into a post to
R-help.

Even those of us who know what ought to go into a post can sometimes
forget to check something obvious - I recently got caught out by not
checking an error was reproducible in the patched version for example.

So I have written a help.request() function (see below), which
- prompts the user to check the relevant resources, stopping and opening
the relevant url where necessary
- checks their R version is up-to-date (in a rather messy way - please
suggest improvements!)
- prompts them to prepare appropriate example code and test it in a
fresh R session
- prompts them to give a meaningful subject line
- automatically adds system info to the post (as in bug.report)
- sends the message for them (ensuring a fresh thread is started)

Is this an idea worth taking further? I would be happy to make
improvements as suggested and write a help file if so.

Heather

help.request <- function (subject = "",
                           ccaddress = Sys.getenv("USER"),
                           method = getOption("mailer"),
                           address = "r-help at R-project.org",
                           file = "R.help.request")
{
     no <- function(answer) answer == "n"
     yes <- function(answer) answer == "y"
     go <- function(url) {
         cat("Please do this first - the site has been loaded in your
web browser\n")
         browseURL(url)
     }
     cat("Checklist:\n")
     post <- readline("Have you read the posting guide? (y/n) ")
     if (no(post)) return(go("http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html"))
     FAQ <- readline("Have you checked the FAQ? (y/n) ")
     if (no(FAQ)) return(go("http://cran.r-project.org/faqs.html"))
     intro <- readline("Have you checked An Introduction to R? (y/n) ")
     if (no(intro))
return(go("http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html"))
     NEWS <- readline("Have you checked the NEWS of the latest
development release? (y/n) ")
     if (no(NEWS)) return(go("https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/NEWS"))
     rsitesearch <- readline("Have you looked on RSiteSearch? (y/n) ")
     if (no(rsitesearch)) {
         cat("Please do this first - the site has been loaded in your
web browser\n")
         return(RSiteSearch(subject))
     }
     inf <- sessionInfo()
     if ("otherPkgs" %in% names(inf)){
         other <- readline("You have packages other than the base
packages loaded.",
                           "\nIf your query relates to one of these,
have you ",
                           "checked any corresponding books/manuals \nand ",
                           "considered contacting the package
maintainer? (y/n/NA) ")
         if(no(other)) return("Please do this first.")
     }

     man <- url("http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html")
     ver <- scan(man, what = character(0), sep = "\n", skip = 13, nlines
= 1, quiet = TRUE)
     major <- as.numeric(substr(ver, start = 18, stop = 18))
     minor <- as.numeric(substr(ver, start = 20, stop = 22))
     if (major < as.numeric(R.Version()$major) ||
         minor < as.numeric(R.Version()$major)) {
         update <- readline("Your R version is out-of-date, would you
like to update now? (y/n) ")
         if (yes(update)) {
             return(go(getOption("repos")))
         }
     }
     ## To get long prompt!
     cat("Have you written example code that is\n",
         "- minimal\n - reproducible\n - self-contained\n - commented",
         "\nusing data that is either\n",
         "- constructed by the code\n - loaded by data()\n",
         "- reproduced using dump(\"mydata\", file = \"\")\n")
     code <- readline(paste("have you checked this code in a fresh R
session",
                            "\n(invoking R with the --vanilla option if
possible)",
                            "\nand is this code copied to the clipboard?
(y/n) "))
     if (no(code))
         return(cat("\nIf your query is not directly related to code",
                "(e.g. a general query \nabout R's capabilities),",
                "email R-help at r-project.org directly. ",
                "\nOtherwise prepare some example code first.\n"))
     change <- readline(paste("Would you like to change your subject
line:\n",
                              subject, "\nto something more meaningful?
(y/n) "))
     if (yes(change))
         subject <- readline("Enter subject: \n")

     methods <- c("mailx", "gnudoit", "none", "ess")
     method <- if (is.null(method))
         "none"
     else methods[pmatch(method, methods)]
     body <- paste("\\n<<Write your query here, using your example code
to illustrate>>",
                   "\\n<<End with your name and affiliation>>\\n\\n\\n\\n",
                   "--please do not edit the information below--\\n\\n",
                   "Version:\\n ", paste(names(R.version), R.version,
sep = " = ",
                                         collapse = "\\n "), if
(nzchar(Sys.getenv("R_GUI_APP_VERSION")))
                   paste("\\n\\nGUI:\\n R-GUI ",
Sys.getenv("R_GUI_APP_VERSION"),
                         " (", Sys.getenv("R_GUI_APP_REVISION"), ")",
                         sep = "")
                                         else "", "\\n\\n",
"Locale:\\n", Sys.getlocale(), "\\n\\n",
                   "Search Path:\\n ", paste(search(), collapse = ", "),
                   "\\n", sep = "", collapse = "")
     if (method == "gnudoit") {
         cmd <- paste("gnudoit -q '", "(mail nil \"", address,
                      "\")", "(insert \"", body, "\")",
"(search-backward \"Subject:\")",
                      "(end-of-line)'", sep = "")
         system(cmd)
     }
     else if (method == "none") {
         disclaimer <- paste("# Your mailer is set to \"none\" (default
on Windows),\n",
             "# hence we cannot send the help request directly from R.\n",
             "# Please copy the help request (after finishing it) to\n",
             "# your favorite email program and send it to\n#\n",
             "#       ", address, "\n#\n",
"######################################################\n",
             "\n\n", sep = "")
         cat(disclaimer, file = file)
         body <- gsub("\\\\n", "\n", body)
         cat(body, file = file, append = TRUE)
         cat("Please edit the help request.\n")
         system(paste(getOption("editor"), file))
         cat("The unsent help request can be found in file", file,
             "\n")
     }
     else if (method == "mailx") {
         if (missing(subject))
             stop("'subject' missing")
         body <- gsub("\\\\n", "\n", body)
         cat(body, file = file, append = FALSE)
         cat("Please edit the help request.\n")
         system(paste(getOption("editor"), file))
         if (is.character(ccaddress) && nzchar(ccaddress)) {
             cmdargs <- paste("-s '", subject, "' -c", ccaddress,
                 address, "<", file, "2>/dev/null")
         }
         else cmdargs <- paste("-s '", subject, "'", address,
             "<", file, "2>/dev/null")
         status <- 1
         cat("Submit the help request? ")
         answer <- readline()
         answer <- grep("y", answer, ignore.case = TRUE)
         if (length(answer) > 0) {
             cat("Sending email ...\n")
             status <- system(paste("mailx", cmdargs))
             if (status > 0)
                 status <- system(paste("Mail", cmdargs))
             if (status > 0)
                 status <- system(paste("/usr/ucb/mail", cmdargs))
             if (status == 0)
                 unlink(file)
             else {
                 cat("Sending email failed!\n")
                 cat("The unsent help request can be found in file",
                   file, "\n")
             }
         }
         else cat("The unsent help request can be found in file",
             file, "\n")
     }
     else if (method == "ess") {
         body <- gsub("\\\\n", "\n", body)