[Rd] Posting Guide

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:07:18 CEST 2008

Might I suggest the following two additions:

For item (1), I suggest adding to the end of it something like
"Consider attaching this output/data as a txt file if it is too
large, or consider using one of the built in data sets (as produced
e.g. by data() ) if they suffice to illustrate the problem."
I find it rather distracting to have to wade through pages and pages
of the the output of dput before I can read the questions to be
answered, and perhaps they are the kinds of questions that indeed can
be answered without that output, in which case having it pasted
straight into the text can be quite distracting. Unless we can at
least convince them to append the output to the end, instead of the
core of the message.

With regards to sessionInfo, I would consider it equally important,
many times, to have the output of ls(), to make sure that functions
etc are not masked by user defined global variables. But perhaps I'm
alone in that? At least mention clearly that the code provided should
be reproducible on a clean R workspace, or something like that?

I think creating this summary section to the posting guide is a great
idea. The posting guide, though chock full with useful information on
how to do a proper post, ends up having just way too much
information, resulting, as experienced, in people not following it.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College