[Rd] Testing development code?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 22:18:29 CEST 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hi, R Core Team:
>     How do you test the latest changes to the core R code?  Is it just "R
> CMD check"?  Or do you use other tools, like the perl "prove" module?
>     I ask, because I'm about to start developing routine testing for other
> (non-R) software, for which I can't do "R CMD check", and I'd like to know
> what you do.

'make check-devel', 'make check-all' and regression tests of (essentially)
R CMD check over CRAN/BioC (the latter in arrears via daily checking
unless the change is thought likely to break things).

If we were starting from scatch we would probably use a unit-testing
framework such as provided by Runits.

C-based projects often use DejaGnu and similar -- scripting languages
usually use themselves to run their test suites.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk