[Rd] prevent `R CMD INSTALL' from reading `.Rprofile'

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Thu Jun 5 13:41:45 CEST 2008

I tripped over the following problem:

due  to  (my?) unresolved problems with cairo graphics under
MacOS (graphic window blocks unrecoverably)  I  modified  my
`.Rprofile'      to  issue `X11(type =  "Xlib")`   on each R
startup (as a workaround to automatic opening of  a  `cairo'
device when issuing a plotting command).

I  now  noted  that  `R  CMD  INSTALL'   obviously processes
.Rprofile since the graphics window pops  up  every  time  I
install a package.

I want to avoid this, but options, notably

--no-site-file
--no-init-file

are ignored when using `R CMD' (yes: as stated in the help).

question:   could   this  behaviour  be  changed,  at  least
concerning the above mentioned options? or is there  another
way to avoid processing/sourcing of .Rprofile?

regards,

joerg

ps: R 2.7.0, Mac OS 10.4.11. (PPC)