[Rd] An issue happens Embed R and redirt png file

Rongrong dna_jin at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 16:18:37 CEST 2008

I am a new R user and I have a question of embedding R to generate png
On Debian, I installed R by source code.

Now I want to embed R in an application which name is MyApp, and run
the following syntax:
png(filename="/tmp/Rplot%03d.png)
example(rect)
dev.off()

Unfortunately I get the following error message:

Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize,
:
  unable to start device PNG
Calls: png
In addition: Warning message:
In png(filename = "/tmp/test%03d.png") :
  unable to open connection to X11 display ''

But I could run above syntax from R, and the result is correct, I can get
two png files from /tmp/ folder.

I try to respectively run same syntax(the syntax is:
capabilities()[["png"]])
under two modes, the result is different:
In R the result is TRUE, but when MyApp embed R the result is FALSE

Then I used bitmap(file="/tmp/test") when embed R in MyApp, but get another
error message:

Error in bitmap(file = "/tmp/test") : sorry, 'gs' cannot be found

Besides, I have installed xvfb. What I need do?

Thanks