[Rd] experinental revision of the 'snow' package

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Sat Jul 5 01:23:09 CEST 2008

A new version of the 'snow' package for parallel computing in R is
available at

This substantially revises the way in which worker processes are
started to allow snow to be used on Windows and Mac/Windows/Linux
combinations. I have successfully used the SOCK version on a
standalone Windows machine and combinations of Windows and Linux; the
MPI version also works for me with DeinoMPI and the Rmpi verision for

I would welcome it if some current snow users could try this verison
in their settings to help iron out any major issues I missed before
release to CRAN.

Luke Tierney
Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science
     Actuarial Science