[Rd] Problem with new("externalptr")

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Jan 30 03:14:12 CET 2008

Luke Tierney wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Herve Pages wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Here is an example of an annoyance that I think is directly related to
>> the
>> problem with new("externalptr"). When you try to extend the
>> "externalptr" class:
>
> You don't wnat to do that for the same reason you don't want to do it
> with environments: Like environment external pointers are reference
> objects, so things like unclass and other attribute changes end up
> being destructive.  Create the thing you want as a list wrapper around
> the external pointer.  You'll be a lot happier with the result in the
> long run.

Thanks Luke!

As you've probably seen further below in my post, wrapping instead of extending
is indeed what I'm doing. And I'm explaining why I don't really have the choice
right now.
I understand why, generally speaking, you would recommend wrapping instead of
extending, but, given the context where I'm making use of those external pointers
(the "ExternalInteger" class itself is not exported, only used internally as slots
of higher level objects, never accessed directly, etc..., etc...), I don't think
extending would actually be a problem.

Unfortunately, because of the problem with new("externalptr"), I can't even
experiment the "extending" approach, test it, compare it with the "wrapping"
approach, etc... and make my own opinion.
And even if I stick with the "wrapping" approach, it would help to have
new("externalptr") doing what I think is the right thing to do.

Cheers,
H.