[Rd] Problem building R with Intel MKL v10 BLAS

Michael Braun braunm at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 25 02:19:01 CET 2008

NO

Hi.  I'm not sure if this is an R-help or R-devel problem, so I'm
starting here in the hope that someone can help (and willing to go to
the other list if it's more appropriate).  I think I am following all of
the instructions in the various manuals, but clearly I am missing something.

I have an Intel EM64T Dell with 2 dual-core Xeon processors running Red
Hat EL5.  I would like to build R 2.6.1 with lots of debugging and
profiling options, and link it to the processor-specific Intel MKL blas.
The problem is that after I compile R, and do R CMD config BLAS_LIBS,
the response is
-L/usr/local/lib64/R/lib -lRblas.

This tells me that R is not linked to the Intel BLAS at all.

My config.site file for R is:

#! /bin/sh

R_PAPERSIZE=letter
CFLAGS="-g -O2 -p -pg"
CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/intel/mkl/10.0.1.014/include -I/usr/include
-I/usr/local/include"
LIBnn=lib64
BLAS_LIBS="-L/opt/intel/mkl/10.0.1.014/lib/em64t -Wl,--start-group
-lmkl_gf_lp64.so -lmkl_gnu_thread.so -lmkl_core.so -l -l -l -Wl,
--end-group -lguide -lpthread -lm"

I have set the CONFIG_SITE environment variable to the location of the
config.site.file.
I am doing everything as superuser.

The command I am using for configure is

./configure --disable-R-profiling --with-blas=no

following the instructions in the R-admin file regarding enabling
C-level profiling and linking to the external BLAS libraries referenced
in the config.site file.

The BLAS_LIBS files are different than in the R-admin manual because of
changes in the Intel MKL for version 10.  These libraries, in this
order, were taken from the Intel MKL for Linux User's Guide, chapter 5.

So, still no luck linking to the optimized BLAS.  I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks,

Michael

--