[Rd] Problems initializing an extended S4 class

Jim Regetz regetz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 29 08:43:44 CET 2008

Hi all,

I am having trouble extending S4 classes in cases where I'm using both
validity and initialize methods. I've read as much S4 information as I
can find, but I've yet to have that "a-ha" moment.

In my application, I am using validity methods to guard against
inappropriate input data that my code has no way of handling, and
initialize methods to detect and deal with fixable problems. As a toy
example, consider classes A and B and associated methods as defined
below. I use a validity method for A to complain about negative values,
and an initialize method to "correct" small input values. B should
simply extend A by adding an extra slot. The example is contrived, but
it illustrates a key behavior that I also encounter in my real code:

setClass("A", representation(x="numeric"))
setClass("B", representation(y="character"), contains="A")

setValidity("A", function(object) {
     message("start validate A")
     retval <- NULL
     if (any(object at x<0))
         retval <- c(retval, "x must be positive")
     message("done validate A")
     if(is.null(retval)) return(TRUE) else return(retval)
})

setMethod("initialize", "A", function(.Object, ...) {
     message("start init A")
     .Object <- callNextMethod()
     x <- .Object at x
     .Object at x <- ifelse(log(x)<0, 1, x)
     message("done init A")
     .Object
})

setMethod("initialize", "B", function(.Object, ...) {
     message("start init B")
     callNextMethod()
})

# Creating an instance of A works just as I would expect
> a <- new("A", x=c(0.5, 2))
start init A
start validate A
done validate A
done init A
An object of class “A”
Slot "x":
[1] 1 2

# But subsequently creating a derived B object fails!
> new("B", a, y="foo")
start init B
start init A
start validate A
start init A
Error in checkSlotAssignment(object, name, value) :
   assignment of an object of class "logical" is not valid for slot "x"
in an object of class "A"; is(value, "numeric") is not TRUE

The two things I haven't quite figured out are:

1. Why is initialize invoked *twice* for A during instantiation of B?

2. The second time initialize is invoked for A, it appears .Object at x is
only bound to its implicit prototype value of numeric(0). Why? Of
course, this leads to an error because the ifelse expression
subsequently evaluates to logical(0) rather than a numeric vector as
intended. Again, this is a contrived example, but a very real problem in
my code.

I suppose I could define a prototype for A that I know won't break my
initialize method, but that seems inelegant and hard to maintain. Is
there a better way to code this so that I can reliably instantiate B
using a valid A object? Hopefully I've just got something wrong in the
formals for my initialize methods or in my use of getNextMethod(), but
I've had no luck trying some alternatives -- and ultimately I'd prefer
to better understand the underlying behavior rather than stumble onto
something that merely appears to work.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions...

Thanks,
Jim

James Regetz, Ph.D.
Scientific Programmer/Analyst
National Center for Ecological Analysis & Synthesis
735 State St, Suite 300
Santa Barbara, CA 93101