[Rd] Warnings generated by log2()/log10() are really large/t

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 27 15:36:05 CET 2008

On 27-Feb-08 13:39:47, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Henrik Bengtsson
> <hb at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
>> <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Martin Maechler wrote:
>> >
>> >  > Thank you Henrik,
>> >  >
>> >  >>>>>> "HenrikB" == Henrik Bengtsson <hb at stat.berkeley.edu>
>> >  >>>>>>     on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:03:24 -0800 writes:
>> >  >
>> >  > {with many superfluous empty statements ( i.e., trailing ";" ):
>> >
>> >  Indeed!
>>
>> I like to add a personal touch to the code I'm writing ;)
>>
>> Seriously, I added them here as a bait in order to get a chance to say
>> that I finally found a good reason for adding the semicolons.  If you
>> cut'n'paste code from certain web pages it may happen that
>> newlines/carriage returns are not transferred and all code is pasted
>> into the same line at the R prompt.  With semicolons you still get a
>> valid syntax.  I cannot remember under what conditions this happened -
>
> I have seen that too and many others have as well since in some forums
> (not related to R) its common to indent all source lines by two spaces.
> Any line appearing without indentation must have been wrapped.

A not-so-subtle solution to this (subtle or not) problem.

NEVER paste from a browser (or a Word doc, or anything similar)
into the R command interface. Paste only from pure plain text.

Therefore, if you must paste, then paste first into a window
where a pure-plain-text editor is running.

Then you can see what you're getting, and can clean it up.
After that, you can paste from this directly into R, or can
save the file and source() it.

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 27-Feb-08                                       Time: 14:36:02