[Rd] Standard method for S4 object

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 19:18:19 CET 2008

Hi Tim,

well, I am not arguing that there are situation when one needs to
rewrite everything from scratch. However it is always worth at least
considering inheritance if there is a candidate to inherit from. It
saves a lot of work.

Anyway, your examples of S3 class usage are obviously valid in sense
that they are indeed S3 methods providing desired functionality.
However, I still do not see WHY using attributes with S3 is better than
slots and S4 for structures like those inherited from 'array' or
similar. S3 gives more freedom in assigning new attributes, but this
freedom also means that one has little control over the structure of an
object making it, for example, more difficult to use with C/C++ code.
Are there any specific benefits in not using S4 and slots (apart from
some known performance issues)?

Best,
Oleg

--
Dr Oleg Sklyar * EBI-EMBL, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK * +44-1223-494466