[Rd] Standard method for S4 object

Tim Hesterberg timh at insightful.com
Mon Feb 25 17:28:17 CET 2008

It depends on what the object is to be used for.

If you want users to be able to operate with the object as if it
were a normal vector, to do things like mean(x), cos(x), etc.
then the list would be very long indeed; for example, there are
225 methods for the S4 'bdVector' class (in S-PLUS), plus additional
methods defined for inheriting classes.

In cases like this you might prefer using an S3 class, using
attributes rather than slots for auxiliary information, so that
you don't need to write so many methods.

Tim Hesterberg