[Rd] number formsat

hill0093 hill0093 at umn.edu
Thu Feb 14 23:43:58 CET 2008

PROBLEM ONE
In my way of using R in print and plots,
R severely ignores formatting requests for numbers.
E.g.,
> n1=2008021323595999
> n1
[1] 2.008021e+15
> print(n1,digits=16)
[1] 2008021323595999
> print(n1,digits=18)
[1] 2008021323595999
> print(n1,digits=15)
[1] 2008021323595999
The e+15 form for similar numbers also
appears in the tic mark labels in plots,
but with yet other counts of significant digits.
PROBLEM TWO
I need to use a function that I could write,
since I have done it in several other languages,
to convert my calendar times of various
lengths into linear time as I read the data.
Then I need to use an inverse function to
convert the linear time for the tic mark labels
of plots of the data, and for printouts.
Where do I look to learn how to do this in R?