[Rd] removing last piece of grid graphical output with grid.remove

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 22:36:26 CET 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Paul Murrell wrote:

> Hi
>

> Erik Iverson wrote:
>> Hello -
>>
>> If I create multiple pieces of output in grid, and use grid.remove() to
>> try to remove the output from the graphics device, I cannot seem to
>> remove the final piece of output from the device until I 'refresh' the
>> graphics device by giving it focus.  The function grid.remove() does
>> appear to remove the grob from the display list, however.
>>
>> I noticed this when the example on page 200-201 in Paul Murrell's R
>> Graphics book did not work as expected when using
>> grid.remove("circles").  Can anyone replicate this?
>

> I've seen this type of behaviour on X11 before, but I think it is
> specific to that device (e.g., you get the "right" behaviour on Windows).
>
> I have not yet attempted to seek out the source of the X11 problem.

The source is the behaviour of grid.newpage.  I think you are expecting it
to clear the plot, but it doesn't (although a subsequent refresh will).
Here's a simpler example

library(grid)
grid.circle(name = "redcircle",  r = .20, gp = gpar(col = "red"))
grid.newpage()

or in old money

plot(1:10)
plot.new()

As I suggested to Paul privately, it is a missing XSync call (and in fact
the second one I have found today).  Will be fixed in R-patched shortly.