[Rd] assigning NULLs to elements of a list

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 15:57:34 CET 2008

:) Well, yes, but what do you do with a named vector if you want to
remove an element by name?

It is not general: you cannot do that on vectors, matrices, arrays and
all inherited objects anyway. Using a negative index is a standard and
throughout practice of deleting elements in R. Surely one can have
exceptions or extended behaviour for different classes, like list and
data.frame here, but I cannot say it is really necessary to have it in
order to produce a clean, easily readable and reliable code. Yes, I know
now, this NULL assignment has existed there for long time and I am not
about to propose its removal, but I really do not see a good reason for
having it either. I would never use it in my code either. After all you
do not assign NULLs to elements of a non-list vector or matrix or array.

Best,
Oleg