[Rd] Pb with lapply()

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 8 05:29:39 CET 2008

Thanks Martin for your patient and detailed explanations!

So with the base4 solution, base would import base4 so lapply() could
call base4::as.list()? Sounds good.
Making as.list() a *primitive* function with C-internal S3 and S4
method dispatch: like for length(), etc...? Sounds good too.

I'm wondering why can't as.list() just be made an S4 generic in base.
Or in methods, which seems to be a more appropriate place for S4 generics.
But then I guess lapply() would have to be moved to methods too and that
would break code importing base but not methods...

Sounds like there is no simple solution indeed.

Cheers,
H.