[Rd] Building R for Windows

Earl F. Glynn efg at stowers-institute.org
Thu Feb 7 00:46:27 CET 2008

I have some C code (using an old Borland compiler)  that calls a DLL that
I'd like to get working from Windows and R (so I can read ABF files -- Axon
Binary Files -- directly in R).

I thought a good first approach would be able to build  R in Windows, so
that's what I'm trying to do.  [I've done test builds of R under Linux
before, and that seemed fairly simple.]

I've tried to follow the instructions "Building R for Windows" from here:
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/

I installed Rtools27.exe and the other tools suggested here:
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/Rtools.txt

I followed the instructions in first Rtools link "Obtaining the R source
code" and have a directory with the latest C:\R\R-2-6-1.

Should the "Building R for Windows" document say something about what should
be done next?

Section 2.1 Simple compilation
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#The-Windows-toolset
says:

./configure
make

These two statements work find on Linux, but I must be missing something
under Windows XP Pro?  Any suggestions?

Also, what changes must be made to build R on a 64-bit Windows box?  Do R
Tools work for a 64-bit environment?

Thanks for any help on this.

Earl F. Glynn
Bioinformatics