[Rd] argument order for Math2 group functions in R 2.6.x (PR#10681)

jfox at mcmaster.ca jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Feb 2 15:35:08 CET 2008

Dear Ben,

If you take a look at the definition of signif() in R 2.6.1 and, e.g.,
in R 2.5.1 you'll see the source of the problem:

R 2.6.1:

> signif
function (x, digits = 6)  .Primitive("signif")

R 2.5.1:

> signif
function (x, digits = 6)
.Internal(signif(x, digits))
<environment: namespace:base>

>From ?Primitive:

"The advantage of .Primitive over .Internal functions is the potential
efficiency of argument passing. However, this is done by ignoring
argument names and using positional matching of arguments (unless
arranged differently for specific primitives such as rep), so this is
discouraged for functions of more than one argument."

I guess that in recoding signif() for efficiency, the warning about
multiple arguments was ignored.

Regards,
 John