[Rd] [R] "Error: bad value" problem

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Dec 18 10:57:47 CET 2008

Martyn Plummer wrote:
> This has all the hallmarks of a bug I found and fixed in R-devel
> (r46998).  I did not port the patch over to the R release branch because
> I could not reproduce the bug.
>
> In R-devel, I was seeing problems with "make test-Segfault". This would
> occasionally segfault, but most of the time would create the "bad value"
> error, and of course would also run perfectly fine a lot of the time.
> The error came from exactly the same place that Ben found.  It was due
> to an invalid SrcRefs being used because SrcFile is not set to zero when
> it should be.
>
> I'll have a look and see if it is the same problem, or a close cousin.

Yes, this does appear to fix the issue. (Did you forget a NEWS file
entry, though?)

It's a two-line change fixing a live bug, so it could go in 2.8.1 even
in code freeze. The problem is that it is inside gram.y which will
trigger some maintainer-mode activity, and did trip up my Fedora laptop
slightly. Hmmmm....

	-p