[Rd] install.packages and dependency version checking

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon Dec 15 20:35:38 CET 2008

Hi,

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> I've started to implement checks for package versions on dependencies in
> install.packages().  However, this is revealing a number of
> problems/misconceptions.
>

> (A) We do not check versions when loading namespaces, ahd the namespace
> registry does not contain version information.  So that for example
> (rtracklayer)
>
> Depends: R (>= 2.7.0), Biobase, methods, RCurl
> Imports: XML (>= 1.98-0), IRanges, Biostrings
>
> will never check the version of namespace XML that is loaded, either
> already loaded or resulting from loading this package's namespace.  For
> this to be operational we would need to extend the syntax of the
> imports() and importsFrom() directive in a NAMESPACE file to allow
> version restrictions. I am not sure this is worth doing, as an
> alternative is to put the imported package in Depends.
>
> The version dependence will in a future release cause an update of XML
> when rtracklayer is installed, if needed (and available).

      I think we need to have this functionality in both Imports and Depends,
  see my response to another point for why.

> (B) Things like (package stam)
>
> Depends: R (>= 2.7.0), GO.db (>= 2.1.3), Biobase (>= 1.99.5), pamr (>=
>         1.37.0), cluster (>= 1.11.10), annaffy (>= 1.11.5), methods (>=
>         2.7.0), utils (>= 2.7.0)
>
> are redundant: the versions of method and utils are always the same as
> that of R.
>
> And there is no point in having a package in both Depends: and Imports:,
> as Biostrings has.

  I don't think that is true.  There are cases where both Imports and Depends
are reasonable.  The purpose of importing is to ensure correct resolution of
symbols in the internal functions of a package. I would do that in almost all
cases.  In some instances I want users to see functionality from another package
- and I can then either a) (re)export those functions, or if there are lots of
them, then b) just put the package also in Depends.  Now, a) is a bit less
useful than it could be since R CMD check gets annoyed about these re-exported
functions (I don't think it should care, the man page exists and is findable).

> (C) There is no check on the version of a package suggested by
> Suggests:, unless the package itself provides one (and I found no
> instances).

  It may be worthwhile, but this is a less frequent use case and I would
prioritize it lower than having that functionality in Imports.

> (D) We can really only handle >= dependencies on package versions (but
> then I can see no other ops in use).  install.packages() will find the
> latest version available on the repositories, and we possibly need to
> check version requirements on the same dependency many times.  Given
> that BioC has a penchant for having version dependencies on unavailable
> versions (e.g. last week on IRanges (>= 1.1.7) with 1.1.4 available), we
> may be able to satisfy the requirements of some packages and not others.
> (In that case the strategy used is to install the latest available
> version if the one installed does not suffice for those we can satisfy,
> and report the problem(s).)

  I suspect one needs = (basically as Gabor pointed out, some packages have issues).

> (E) One of the arguments that has been used to do this version checking
> at install time is to avoid installing packages that cannot work. It
> would be possible to extend the approach to do so, but I am going to
> leave that to those who advocated it.
>

> The net effect of the current changes will be that if there is a
> dependence that is already installed but a later version is available
> and will help satisfy a >= dependence, it will be added to the list of
> packages to be installed.  As we have seen with Matrix this last week,
> that can have downsides in stopping previously functional packages working.
>
> This is work in progress: there is no way to write a test suite that
> will encapsulate all the possible scenarios so weneed to get experience
> until 2.9.0 is released.  Please report any quirks to R-devel if they
> are completely reproducible (and preferably with the code change needed
> to fix them, since the chance of anyone else being able to reproduce
> them are fairly slim).

  thanks
    Robert

--