[Rd] repeat bug report: as.factor argument to row / col fails if NULL dimnames

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Dec 12 10:51:26 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> I have never seen the report in the repository.  There were problems
> with R-bugs at around that time (most email submission was stalled for a
> month or so).

Maybe, but I don't see a PR# on _any_ of Martin Morgan's posts...

> However, I think the problems are far more serious: the help page says
>
>      Returns a matrix of integers indicating their column number in a
>      matrix-like object.
>
> as.factor: a logical value indicating whether the value should be
>           returned as a factor rather than as numeric.
>
> Value:
>
>      An integer matrix with the same dimensions as 'x' and whose
>      'ij'-th element is equal to 'j'.
>
> There is no mention of using the column labels as the values and the
> result was not even a matrix.  I certainly expected the factor levels to
> be numeric.
>
> I presume that the intention is to use the column labels (default
> seq_len(nrow(x)) ) in place of the numbers, and to return a factor
> matrix, so I have implemented that for col() and row().
>
> However, I do wonder that anyone was using as.factor=TRUE given that it
> did not do anything like what it was documented to.

There could, I suppose, be applications of the style

library(ISwR)
dd <- data.frame(count=c(caesar.shoe),
   caesar=row(caesar.shoe,as.factor=TRUE),
   size=col(caesar.shoe,as.factor=TRUE))
anova(glm(count~caesar*size,family=poisson,data=dd))

(as.data.frame.table is better in this case, I know). Notice that this
will break if you change the value to a factor matrix.

It is not clear that a matrix is desired -- an alternative point of view
is that when you request a factor, it is intended to be used along with
long-format data.