[Rd] unrelated software install triggering an error from R's install script on Mac OS X 10.5

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Mon Dec 1 15:31:22 CET 2008

> I guess that we this comparing apples with oranges here:
> a default R install is leaving binaries in the path when performing
> a default install, which does not seem to be the case here
> (therefore forcing a hunt for the executable for the R console and
> resulting in the present thread).

Well, the assumption seems to be that end users who just run an
installer without reading the associated documentation won't be
interested in a command-line version and will just start the R GUI
that shows up in their /Applications folder ...

> The point seems to be slightly missed here: the result of installing
> R is that there is no R executable in the path, and that adding the
> only bin/ directory coming with the install to be path results in a
> broken system.

... and that people who add directories to their PATH tend to read
instructions carefully.  The download page for the Mac OS X binaries
says:

> You may also want to read the R FAQ and R for Mac OS X FAQ.

and in the Mac OS X FAQ you'll easily find the necessary instructions
for using the command-line version:

> 3 Command line version of R
> The command line version of R is identical to R as used on other
> unix operating systems. Therefore general documentation forR applies
> to this version as well. On each release (and patched-release) ready
> to use binaries are distributed through CRAN. These binaries come
> with a common installer used by R.app so please read the related
> notes (see How to get R.app). To use Ryou probably need to add a
> symbolic link on your system as the R binary is located inside the
> framework. Suppose you have the/usr/local/bin directory on your
> system (if you do not have one, you can use /usr/bin instead) you
> should just type in your Terminal (a root password is required)
>
> sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/R /usr/local/
> bin/R
> Assuming that you have /usr/local/bin in your PATH environment
> variable, you will be able to launch R from any location on your
> system just by typing R. In this way, when you install a new version
> of the R.framework this link will point to the latest R binary.

I suppose that with "doing things the Unix way" you've probably been
referring to the package managers / installers that most Linux
distributions use and which do indeed make their installed programs
available from the command line.

Best regards,
Stefan Evert

[ stefan.evert at uos.de | http://purl.org/stefan.evert ]