[Rd] Rtools28 - undefined references with gfortran

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 13:34:19 CET 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, John Nolan wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Rtools28 to build a package under
> Windows.  I see that g77 is no longer in Rtools, but it
> does have gfortran, and it uses version:
>   GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.1-sjlj (mingw32-2)
>
> I am compiling some old fortran code as part of a larger
> project.  When I do that, I get undefined references:
>
> gcc.exe: s_cmp.o: No such file or directory
> gcc.exe: s_copy.o: No such file or directory
> gcc.exe: s_cat.o: No such file or directory
> gcc.exe: F77_aloc.o: No such file or directory
>
> I don't see these entry points in any of the accompanying
> library files.   I hunted around and found the above
> functions in an old MinGW library libg2c.lib

libg2c.a, perhaps?

> When I link them in, I get different undefined references:
>
> ilaenv.o:ilaenv.f:(.text+0x55): undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_compare_string
> dlamch.o:dlamch.f:(.text+0x3bf): undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_pow_r8_i4'
> dormlq.o:dormlq.f:(.text+0x281): undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_concat_string
>

> Any guidance on how to solve this problem?

Give a reproducible example (or at least all the steps you used) : see the
posting guide.

At a guess you are using gcc.exe to link Fortran code, not gfortran.exe.
You can sometimes do that by adding -lgfortran to the link line.  But
don't expect your helpers to be prepared to guess ....