[Rd] specifying compiler path in configure

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 22:38:34 CEST 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Mark Kimpel wrote:

> I'm having trouble building some packages while running Debian Lenny
> (testing) and suspect that the issues are related to the default use
> of gcc-4.3.

You might want to compare your problems with the CRAN checks at

http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_summary.html

as those are run with gcc 4.3.x on Debian testing.  From memory, the
problems are confined to C++-(mis)using packages.

> With Lenny, build-essentials depends on 4.3, so I'd like
> to leave it installed but have also installed 4.2.1. How do I tell
> ./configure the path to 4.2.1 ? I"m sure it's an option, but I don't
> see it documented in the R-admin manual.

>From configure --help:

   CC          C compiler command
   CFLAGS      C compiler flags

There are many examples of setting CC in the R-admin manual, and the first
para of 'Essential Programs' seems to me to tell you that as well.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk