[Rd] problem running dll in R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Aug 25 14:22:19 CEST 2008

On 23/08/2008 8:44 PM, rcoder wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've created a dll for a fortran subroutine, and when I call the subroutine
> in R (via a wrapped function) a standard program shutdown windows error
> prompt immediately pops up: the program has encountered a problem and needs
> to be shut down... send message / don't send message to MS... etc.
>
> When I click "Don't send", the R consol does not then shut down, and appears
> to continue to execute, and task manager does not indicate "not responding".
> The problem is the execution takes too long, and I think the program is just
> hanging rather than executing. I have tested with different fortran code,
> and the same thing happens, so I don't think it is anything to do with that
> side of things.
>
> I created fortran code in a text editor, compiled using Plato3 IDE, then
> converted the file into a dll using gFortran. I place the dll in the R
> directory and it load in the console. The problem seems to occur when
> defining the data types in R, for the variables in the fortran routine.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar when trying
> to call fortran subroutines in R?

I haven't seen that, and haven't used that particular compiler, but it
has the symptoms of a mismatch in calling conventions.  Does your
compiler pass arguments in registers?  R uses what Windows calls the
cdecl calling convention in external calls.

Some old advice on using non-standard compilers is available here:

http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/compilingDLLs

I haven't updated it in a few years, but I think it is still current.

Duncan Murdoch