[Rd] RNGkind() state (PR#12567)

Ray Brownrigg ray at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Aug 21 11:28:52 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz wrote:
>
>> I sent this to R-devel early last month, but have received no
>> response, so I guess it
>> really is a bug.
>
> Or people were busy: I was away teaching a course, for example.
>
>> This looks like a bug to me, and is a bit hard to describe, but easy
>> to reproduce.
>> Basically, if RNGkind is saved as something other than the default,
>> and if the first
>> operation in a session is a set.seed(), the default is reverted to.
>>  Reproduce by:
>
> A better description would certainly have helped!  You can look at
> .Random.seed to see what is happening.
>
> I think what you are observing is that if .Random.seed has not used in
> the session, any restored value is not used to set the default kind in
> set.seed.  I don't think that is unreasonable (in particular as you can
> set the kind in set.seed() and I take the notes on ?RNG to suggest
> that), but would be easy to change/document.

My interpretation of what looking at .Random.seed shows is that set.seed() ignores the RNG
{\bf state} that is contained in the restored .Random.seed (until after the first random
number has been generated).  ?RNG starts with ".Random.seed is an integer vector,
containing the random number generator (RNG) state for random number generation in R. It
can be saved and restored, ...".

I feel it is a bit of a stretch to claim that "If it is NULL, *return* the currently used
RNG." suggests "if it is NULL, and .Random.seed has not been used in the session, ignore
the information contained in .Random.seed and *set* the default RNG".

However, knowing what does happen, I acknowledge that the documentation of set.seed() is
not inconsistent, but I can't accept that the description of .Random.seed would lead one
to anticipate what does happen.

Regards,
Ray Brownrigg