[Rd] (PR#12532) Column name disappears when indexing a single column

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 08:09:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, cherrera at cs.nmsu.edu wrote:

> Good Day,

>  I can understand that after indexing a single column in a matrix, R
> will return a vector instead of the single column.  However, during the
> conversion to a vector, the column name is lost.

>  I was wondering if it would be better to have R return a single column
> matrix (retaining the column name), instead of automatically converting
> to a vector.  Users could use as.vector() to convert afterwards.

This is NOT a bug.

You give no example, and your subject line is incorrect.  You probably
mean 'extracting a single column from a matrix' and no name 'disappears'
-- the matrix still has its column names.

I think you have missed the 'drop' argument to matrix indexing, which
defaults to TRUE.  Maybe it would have been better to have FALSE as the
default, but lots of code makes use of it.  And you DO have a choice that
you seem unaware of.  See ?`[`, for example, or any good book on R.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk