[Rd] Numerical optimisation and "non-feasible" regions

Mathieu Ribatet mathieu.ribatet at epfl.ch
Thu Aug 7 13:45:31 CEST 2008

Dear Patrick (and other),

Well I used the Sylvester's criteria (which is equivalent) to test for
this. But unfortunately, this is not the only issue!
Well, to sum up quickly, it's more or less like geostatistics.
Consequently, I have several unfeasible regions (covariance, margins and
others).
The problem seems that the unfeasible regions may be large and sometimes
lead to optimization issues - even when the starting values are well
defined.
This is the reason why I wonder if setting by myself a $-\infty$ in the
composite likelihood function is appropriate here.

However, you might be right in setting a tolerance value 'eps' instead
of the theoretical bound eigen values > 0.
Thanks for your tips,
Best,
Mathieu