[Rd] literate programming

Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Aug 7 08:14:26 CEST 2008

  > "ESS supported noweb before Sweave existed."
  >    That is the bit I didn't know.  What I was rather looking for was a noweb
  > mode that knows about S formatting, and here it was available all along.  I've
  > used a version of ESS for a loooong time - probably should re-read the
  > documentation one of these days to catch up on all the new
  >    features!

  >    "and the latex
  > syntax was added lateron because some people write whole packages using
  > noweb and would have had a syntax conflict in their vignettes"

  >   I'm not quite sure what this means.

Well, you can write your Sweave files also looking like

This is some latex documentation bla bla bla

And here comes a code chuck:

\begin{Scode}{echo=FALSE,fig=TRUE}
plot(rnorm(100))
\end{Scode}

and here we go again with latex

and Sweave will process it correctly (if the file has extension
.Rtex). As Sweave does not use noweb's magic <<>>= tags in this case,
you can use those for regular noweb processing. Of course you loose
the nice handling of code chunks by ESS in that case ...

Best,
Fritz