[Rd] unbuffered R CMD check results

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 23:13:57 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I'm attempting to write a TextMate command that runs R CMD check and
returns the results in an HTML window (I have confirmed with the
TextMate devloper that this window will take unbuffered content).  It
appears that when stdout is not a tty R CMD check and INSTALL buffer
results.  When my python script is run from a terminal I get results
unbuffered.  Is it possible to get unbuffered output to other stdouts?

I took a look at the docs for check.conf, and didn't see a
configuration options.  Skimming the perl source code, (caveat, I'm
not familiar with perl) I see:

## Don't buffer output.
$| = 1;

So perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.  Suggestions are welcome.

Peter