[Rd] r won't start: "r: symbol lookup error: r: undefined symbol: (PR#11274)

edd at debian.org edd at debian.org
Fri Apr 25 13:10:08 CEST 2008

On 24 April 2008 at 20:20, jakobstoeger at gmx.de wrote:
| Full_Name: Jakob Stoeger
| Version: 2.7.0
| OS: ubuntu 7.10
| Submission from: (NULL) (137.248.74.38)
|

| Hi!
|
| I hope, it is justified to write this email...
| I'm relatively new to linux, and haven't worked with r, yet, so please pardon
| any things I do not know...
|
| I tried installing r on my computer, and didn't manage to get the program
| running.
| After having installed littler, typing r into the bash results in following
| message:
|
| r: symbol lookup error: r: undefined symbol: R_Visible

You need to rebuild littler ('r') against the new version of R ('R').

I did that for Debian, looks like Ubuntu could do with it too.  Your R
version was provided by volunteers outside of Ubuntu.

Vincent: In a perfect world, could you rebuild littler and provide it?

Jakob: Barring a new littler you can apt-get, the easiest may be to just
uninstall littler and rebuild it locally so that thew R 2.7.0 is used.
Ping me, or better still, the r-sig-debian list, with questions if you have
any.  You need to subscribe to r-sig-debian before you can post there.

Lastly, if you only want or use R, use R :)  'r' is for scripting and short
command-line uses.

Dirk

PS  It is the same with RPy.