[Rd] prod(0, 1:1000) ; 0 * Inf etc

Mathieu Ribatet mathieu.ribatet at epfl.ch
Tue Apr 22 10:22:50 CEST 2008

>> I definitely do agree with you.
>> Basically, I see two different ways to proceed:
>>
>>    1. one could first check if there are any 0 in the vector and then
>>       return 0 without computing the product
>>

> That would fail for prod(0,Inf), which should return the same
> thing as 0*Inf=NaN.  Similarly for prod(0,NA) and prod(0,NaN).
> Scanning for all these things might well be slower than just
> doing the multiplications.  Scanning also means that 0 is treated
> more commutatively than other numbers.

Yes you're right when vectors have special values - oupppsss. However,
for the "more commutatively behaviour of 0", to me this is not a problem
- just a computational trick. We all know easily how to multiply by 11.
This is just the same. What we want is that the operator is still
commutative which (of course) is still the case.

However, you're probably right with the time consuming approach of
checking 0 (as well as special values) within the vector. The question
is what is the main objective? Fast computations but could lead to
miss-calculations - in rarely cases. Or run codes a little bit slower
while returning the appropriate values - a little bit more often.

I'm not sure users do so many times products of really huge length
vectors though - but this is only my point of view.
Best,
Mathieu

--
Institute of Mathematics
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne