[Rd] swig 1.3.35 & R - is the R wrapper still maintained and of interest?

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sat Apr 19 19:44:06 CEST 2008

Hi Michael and Soeren

~  I've waited to see if there would be posts from others, but am
a little surprised to see only your two.  It would seem people aren't
using SWIG for R and I wonder why this community hasn't used or wanted
such tools?  Do we not have a need for them, or are we not aware of them, ...?
or

~  So what to do?  Firstly, I don't get that crash on load on my Linux
box.  So we would have to investigate further, but at least it does work
somewhere.  And such extreme failures are actually less worrying than the
potential lack of functionality in the bindings.

~  Soeren has already been in touch with me and indeed the
code in the SWIG distribution comes origially from the RSWIG source on the
omegahat repository. Unfortunately, the person who took that code
and put into the SWIG distribution did by himself and didn't seem
to want to work together to improve it add get it beyond the experimental state
it was in.  Futher, he apparently listed me as the contributor,
but haven't communicated at all with the SWIG developers and so I do not have
access to the SWIG repository and cannot change the code.
So we have a little bit of a problem that might have been better dealt with if
code had continued to be developed outside of SWIG by the R community.

~ If there is nobody interested in using SWIG in R, then there is little point
in fixing it.  I have been working on an alternative way to generate bindings using
output from GCC (gcc & g++) and exploring how the bindings should work
generally.  Most of the ideas I think would be able to go back into SWIG
and that _might_ be an easier tool for people to use who don't want more control
over the code generation or to do analysis on the code itself.
But if nobody other than the two of us is interested in using a general interface code
generation mechanism, then perhaps we shouldn't waste too much time on such
general resources.  However, I think it is of value and I think
we can fix up the SWIG module with a little collaboration.

~  D.