[Rd] X11 image problem in R-2.8.0 Under development / R-2.7

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Apr 5 18:47:01 CEST 2008

    BDR> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Martin Morgan wrote:
    >> Yes, thank you, this fixes the problem for me.
    >>
    >> As a follow-up, and again with my ignorance of where
    >> processing is actually occuring, it seems like the X11
    >> window content is drawn directly rather than being drawn
    >> to a buffer and then blit on to the screen -- the
    >> original appearance of the plot is slow, compared to,
    >> e.g., hiding and then revealing the image once it has
    >> been plotted.

    BDR> That is not so for the default type="cairo".  The
    BDR> problem is likely to be that the bitblt is across the
    BDR> network, whereas repaint is a bitblt from a local copy.

    BDR> There are some comments on the X11() help page -- you
    BDR> may want to try type = "nbcairo".  Some changes are
    BDR> planned for R 2.8.0 which will improve performance, but
    BDR> for now things are tuned for the most common case of a
    BDR> local X11 display (although type = "nbcairo" works
    BDR> quite well over my home wireless network).

Sorry to chime in;  I had wanted to bring this to Brian's
attention a few days ago, but always got side-tracked:

Here are results on my  IBM/Lenowo X41 notebook
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
cpu MHz		: 600.000
bogomips	: 1198.37
MemTotal:      1546600 kB

with *no* graphics acceleration:
Everything is local but not really fast hardware

 > F <- ecdf(rnorm(10000))
 > system.time(plot(F))
    user  system elapsed
   3.204   0.024   3.402
 > x11(type="Xlib")
 > system.time(plot(F))
    user  system elapsed
   0.068   0.000   0.354

which is somewhat dramatic,
and for tk*() pseudo-animations, I have definitely needed to use
type = "Xlib"

Martin

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk