[Rd] X11 image problem in R-2.8.0 Under development / R-2.7

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Apr 5 16:55:08 CEST 2008

Yes, thank you, this fixes the problem for me.

As a follow-up, and again with my ignorance of where processing is
actually occuring, it seems like the X11 window content is drawn
directly rather than being drawn to a buffer and then blit on to the
screen -- the original appearance of the plot is slow, compared to,
e.g., hiding and then revealing the image once it has been plotted.

R version 2.8.0 Under development (unstable) (2008-04-05 r45102)

Thank you again for tracking down the original issue.

Martin

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> I think I have found this -- if so, it was an X11 timing issue and we
> needed to re-read the X11 window size at a later time.  Please try
> r45102 or later.
>
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Martin Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> I apologize if this is too obscure to reproduce, or some idiosyncratic
>>> aspects of my system. If I create a plot, e.g.,
>>> I get a graphics device as expected. I then click on the 'zoom' box
>>> on
>>> my X11 window, so the window expands to occupy the entire screen. The
>>> plot is redrawn at the scale of the large window, but is clipped to the
>>>   'unzoomed' size. I only see the top left portion of the plot,
>>> occupying the space of the original image.
>>> Here are the R essentials; I'm using X11 on a recent SuSE,
>>> connecting
>>> via a moderately out-of-date cygwin from Windows. I'm happy to provide
>>> more detail if pointed in the right direction (and will trouble shoot
>>> myself if this is not a general problem).
>>
>> We've seen it, but not all systems do it.  At present it looks like
>> a cairo bug, but more work is needed on it.  If we haven't found a
>> workaround by release time, it will be documented on the help page.

>>> R version 2.8.0 Under development (unstable) (2008-04-03 r45066)
>>> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>> locale:
>>> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>>>     jpeg      png    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets   libxml
>>>     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>>>     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
>>>     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>>> Martin
>>> --
>>> Martin Morgan
>>> Computational Biology / Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
>>> 1100 Fairview Ave. N.
>>> PO Box 19024 Seattle, WA 98109
>>> Location: Arnold Building M2 B169
>>> Phone: (206) 667-2793
>>>

>> --
>> Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>> Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>> University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
>> 1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595
>>

> --

Martin Morgan