[Rd] R-Server remotecontrolled via browser-GUI

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Sep 28 21:04:19 CEST 2007

idontwant googeltospyafterme wrote on 09/28/2007 09:33 AM:
> dear r-community,
>
> currently i have a workflow as following:
> data in online-MYSQL-database via .csv into R for analysis, results
> back to mysql.
> generating graphics for reports also.
>
> that's ok, but i need some process-optimization.
>
> i'd like to run r directly on the webserver. analysis should work
> automatically, after the appropriate r-script was selected in a
> browser-gui for R.
>
> until know after collecting some information, i think the best
> approach to reach that goal is:
> * using mod_R / RApache to run multiple instances of r on the server,
> * build a website that will serve as frontend/gui for r either with
> html/php or some ajax-framework,
> * connect R to the database with one of the available db-packages to
> fetch the survey-data
> * put the r-scripts for analysis somewhere on the server
> * use cairo for generation of the images
> * and see what happens...
>
> i would like to know, if my construction seems good to you, if you
> have other recommendations or constructive critics and what you think
> about the effort for configuring mod_R/RAPACHE, cairo and the
> db-package for r.

Hi Josuah,

I'm planning on releasing the 1.0 version of rapache sometime after the
relase of R 2.6.0. Work's been really busy around here, so I haven't had
time to finish up the last of the documentation and packaging.

After that, I hope to have time to provide recommendations on how to use
rapache in various situations. Expect to see progress here:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/rapache

near the middle of October.

Jeff
--