[Rd] Aggregate factor names

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 18:59:05 CEST 2007

You seem to be assuming that the argument 'by' to the "data frame" method
of aggregate() is a call to list() with arguments which are names (and
evaluate to factors).

When aggregate.data.frame comes to be called, the 'by' argument is a
promise to the actual argument.  In your example the actual argument is
the call (in a readable layout)

list(one.iv, another.iv, yet.another.iv)

but that is one of a very large number of possibilities for 'by'.  Trying
to produce reasonable names for unnamed arguments is hard enough (see
?cbind), but trying to deduce reasonable names for the elements of a list
argument is one step further up the chain.  Further, if we did that,
people who wanted the documented behaviour would not longer be able to get
it.

I think what you want is a function that takes unnamed arguments and
returns a named list, to replace your usage of list().  That's not so very
hard to do, not least as in this context data.frame() will do the job.
So to extend the example on the help page

> aggregate(x = testDF, by = data.frame(by1, by2), FUN = "mean")
    by1  by2 v1 v2
1    1   95  5 55
2    2   95  7 77
3    1   99  5 55
4    2   99 NA NA
5  big damp  3 33
6 blue  dry  3 33
7  red  red  4 44
8  red  wet  1 11

However, note that the grouping variables need NOT be factors, and this
has made them so.  So you may want to look at data.frame() and
write list_with_names() to do just that.