[Rd] delayedAssign

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:30:41 CEST 2007

Thanks for the explanation.

For lists either: (a) promises should be evaluated as they
enter the list or (b) promises evaluated as they exit the
list (i.e. as they are compared, inspected, etc.).  I gather
the intent was (a) but it does not happen that way due to
a bug in R.   Originally I thought (b) would then occur but
my surprise was that it does not occur either which is why
I feel its more serious than I had originally thought.

I think its ok if promises only exist in environments and not
lists.  Items that would be on my wishlist would be to be able
to do at R level the two mentioned previously

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-September/046943.html

and thirdly an ability to get the evaluation environment, not just the
expression,
associated with a promise -- substitute only gets the expression.
Originally I thought I would need some or all of these wish items
and then thought not but am back to the original situation again as I use
them more and realize that they are at least important
for debugging (its very difficult to debug situations involving promises as
there is no way to inspect the evaluation environment so you are never sure
which environment a given promise is evaluating in) and possibly
for writing programs as well.