[Rd] 'load' does not properly add 'show' methods for classes extending 'list'

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 10:18:09 CEST 2007

I am not sure why you expected this to work: I did not expect it to and
could not find relevant documentation to suggest it should.

attach that package and make the methods for the class of 'x' available.
We have talked about attaching the package defining the class when an S4
object is loaded, and that is probably possible now S4 objects can be
unambiguously distinguished (although I still worry about multiple
packages with the same generic and their order on the search path).

In your example there is no specific 'show' method on the search path when
'show' is called via autoprinting in the second session, so 'showDefault'
is called.  Package GSEABase gets attached as an (undocumented) side
effect of calling 'getClassDef' from 'showDefault'.  I can see no
documentation (and in particular not in ?showDefault) that 'showDefault'
is supposed to attach the package defining the class and re-dispatch to a
'show' method that package contains.  Since attaching packages behind the
user's back can have nasty side effects (the order of the search path does
mattter), I think the pros and cons need careful consideration: a warning
along the lines of

   'object 'x' is of class "GeneSetCollection" from package 'GSEABase'
   which is not on the search path

might be more appropriate.  Things would potentially be a lot smoother if
namespaces could be assumed, as loading a namespace has few side effects
(and if loading a namespace registered methods for visible S4 generics
smoothly).

Until I see documentation otherwise, I will continue to assume that I do
need to attach the class-defining package(s) for things to work correctly.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk