[Rd] Best practices - R CMD check and vignettes

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Sep 18 05:07:01 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have a package that contains two vignettes that both use saved objects
in the examples directory of the package. With previous versions of R I
could have a code chunk in the vignette like this:

<<echo=false>>=
load("../examples/somedata.Rdata")
@

followed by a code chunk like

<<eval=false>>=
foo <- bar("data")
@

that simulated the actual reading in of the data (I use a saved object
to limit package size).

This passed check with previous versions of R, but under R-2.6.0alpha,
the vignettes are dumped into an inst directory in the <package>.Rcheck
directory, where Sweave() and texi2dvi() are run. Unfortunately, the
above code chunks no longer work.

I can certainly hard code the first chunk to find the .Rdata file, but I
have to imagine there is a much more elegant way to do this.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Jim

--